|Warmer than average and increasing. Scattered clouds. Windy.
|| • Damian drags the party to the predawn qualifications at the Colosseum.
⁃ He qualifies against a veteran, even getting one lick in before he is clocked.
• Tess splits off to meet with Atrosans
⁃ At the Scroll and Quill, she learns that hers is one of 3 groups hired to search different sections of the city for Stildon Malk, an assassin, pirate and cutthroat.
⁃ She is taken across the avenue to the Temple of Atros, given a map of a section of the sewers where the priest suspects Malk may be hiding (Malk was seen going into The Blind Lass tavern by an informant, but never came out).
⁃ The priest also gives Tess six magical healing potions to be used by her group as they see fit.
• After Damian’s qualifier matches are over, the party meets back up at their inn and inform each other of what transpired. They set out for Westside, but become disoriented while scouting the slums, but eventually find The Blind Lass Tavern.
• While gawking in the street and discussing strategy, they draw the attention of a small crowd, and are accosted by members of The Golden Star (Thieves) Guild.
• Tess diffuses the situation, also making an arrangement with Kramar, the sub-lieutenant of the Stars, learning some information regarding Malk.
⁃ Kramar and the Stars agree to clear their members out of the sewer-level hideout in exchange for a magic ring that Malk took on a raid.
⁃ Kramar eludes to the fact that Malk is overstepping, and “Chumming the waters of their peaceful neighborhood. Now, the sharks are circling.”
⁃ The lieutenant also indicates a sewer grating inferring that it is an egress to the under-city lair.
• After the negotiations, the party visits The Lass (The Bitch as it is known by the locals) for a drink, at Kramar’s request. Once acquired, they are to leave the ring (or any correspondence for the rogue) in one of the scales on the desecrated statue of Sylantrope inside the tavern. The party decides best to not discuss any plans what at that seedy location.
• They retreat to The Dove and The Hound to make plans and relax for the evening. On the way, the party purchases some items they will use on their delve into the sewers.
|Much warmer than average. Cloudy with heavy precipitation (begins during the night). Sustained high winds.
|| • After Midnight, they return to the slums of Westside and enter the sewers, finding the shaft narrow, filthy and slippery. Maneuvering through the sewers is problematic for the larger members of the team, and Sebastian gets a little roughed up on the way down.
⁃ Emerging from a particularly narrow passage onto the sewer proper, Tess takes an arrow to the shoulder, but handily forces the guard who shot her into the slimy muck of the city’s waste with her magic, but not before he calls out a warning to a hidden comrade.
⁃ The lookout, while trying to emerge from the sewer, manages to collapse part of the ill-maintained sewer wall onto himself, and was drowned.
• Upon cautiously exploring on, it seems as if the other foe slipped and fell while running in haste to warn Malk. They did not, however, discover what happened to him.
• The section of the sewer, some sort of junction built long ago by Dwarven hand, ended in a collapse. Cautiously, the heroes explore this well worn and eroded passage, but as they begin to squeeze through a narrow part, the twang of crossbow fire is heard behind them. Sebastian, devoid of his armor as it was too bulky to let him pass through the corridors here, is stuck in the neck by a well-placed shot.
|READ NEXT WEEK’S ENTRY “FLUSHING THE SEWERS” FOR THE CONCLUSION.|